
Since Ice Storm 2007 is nearly over, I'd better get this in before it is 70 degrees again outside.
After three days of stir-craziness inside the walls of my house, on Sunday afternoon Summer and I went sledding. There's a lake in her addition with very small hills on two sides. We walked out there and all we had (even after a search at Wal-mart for a sled) was a laundry basket.
Although the hill was small, you got going pretty fast and by the bottom, Summer first made the mistake of leaning forward in the laundry basket to stabilize herself. Unfortunately this led to her, face-down in the snow at the bottom of the hill, silent and not moving. Which led to me running down the hill yelling, "Suuuuuuuuu--mmmmmmm---eeeeerrrrrrr!!!". Although, actually I was trying to be funny because I thought she was faking. But by the time I got to the bottom and rolled her over, she wasn't breathing and so, quite freaked out, I started to do CPR.
At this point I was really scared. I hadn't even had a CPR class since girl scouts in the 90's and couldn't really remember if I was doing it right. I stopped for a second to reach into my coat and call 911 when she took a breath and suddenly sat up. Oh my goodness... I have never been more relieved in my life. I was crying and she said, "That really knocked the wind out of me! I can't believe you just saved my life."
I can't believe I saved someone's life either.
And actually, you shouldn't either, because this is not a true story. Here's what really happened: (ha ha ha... will you ever believe a story I write again?)
Although the hill was small, you got going pretty fast and by the bottom, Summer first made the mistake of leaning forward in the laundry basket to stabilize herself. Unfortunately, this led to her, face-down in the snow at the bottom of the hill, silent and not moving. Which led to me running down the hill yelling, "Suuuuuuuu-mmmmmmm-eeeeerrrrrr!!!". Although, actually I was trying to be funny because I thought she was faking. But by the time I got to the bottom and rolled her over, she sort of laughed but said that it really hurt and knocked the wind out of her. Then we kept sledding.
But later three boys came out and were playing on the ice of the lake which was not very thick. Summer and I were discussing how crappy it would be if one of them fell in, because we were the only ones around and we would have to jump in and save them. So Summer yelled out, "Hey, if you fall in, we're not gonna save you! We're just going to tell your parents!" We turned around and were talking again and when we turned back around, one of them had really fallen in. Now we were so surprised we didn't know what to do. Summer was hesitating, so I ran over to the edge, carefully laid down, and scooted over to the ice hole where he was splashing around. I grabbed his jacket and pulled him out of the freezing water. Luckily, Summer and I had brought some extra clothes in case we got cold, which we wrapped him in, and then we took turns carrying him home on our backs.
What? Don't you believe me?
Ok, maybe this is really what happened...
Summer and I were discussing how crappy it would be if one of them fell in, because we were the only ones around and we would have to jump in and save them. So Summer yelled out, "Hey, if you fall in, we're not gonna save you! We're just going to tell your parents!" We turned around and were talking again, and when we turned back around, one of them had really fallen in. Luckily for him, that part of the lake was about a foot deep and he just soaked his foot in extremely cold water and then they all ran home.
So fortunately, no one had to save anyone else's life that day. It was just another ordinary day of sledding. But in case you don't believe the story about the boy who fell in...
3 comments:
sick....
alyssia
I do have one correction. I wasn't leaning forward in the laundry basket to stablize myself, but to go faster. Then I was launched stomach first on to the rock hard ice. My ribs hurt for 3 days. It was an extremly serious injury. In fact, I think I might have had one of those near death experiences where you see the white light. Or, maybe it was just the snow.
You're crazy!!!
Post a Comment