Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Final Destination

Yay! I have reached where I'll be living this fall and don't have to take any more sketchy Russian plane flights- yikes. As we flew on a Russian airline from the city in the west to the capital, I kept thinking about this tv show I caught about five minutes of where a Russian plane crashed. Luckily our flight was fine. But just yesterday a Russian plane crashed in the Ukraine.

So for the last two weeks, I have been living with a family while the doctor I'll be working with this fall gets settled in (she just arrived back from a short vacation). I will be living in this southern city until December. I don't get to check my email very much so I'm sorry I haven't been keeping up well with the blog! Hopefully, after I move in with the doctor in a few days it will be better.

I am really loving it here! I can't wait until we get into a routine and I'm really excited to share stories about the local people. Actually, it hasn't been hard to switch over to life here. The funny thing is that I thought the worst part of culture shock would be having to take cold showers... which I despise... but actually, since its so hot, my worst fear has turned out to be the best part of the day!

Here's a short story and a few pictures. If the internet keeps working I'll post more.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad that you are doing well and that your Russian flight was nothing more than "sketchy". hehe I miss ya, sis, and I can't wait to hear about the local culture in your new "city". :)

Love ya,
Chair

Anonymous said...

to cold showers...better than no shower at all

alyssia

Anonymous said...

I'm happy too to hear that you are doing well! I've been wondering how things are! :)

Anonymous said...

Erin--Be on the lookout for a doctor named Selden Spencer who is from Iowa and will be visiting and working in various clinics until the middle of September. It is a long shot, but maybe you will run into him somewhere along the way as he will be working in various clinics. He is also running for Congress--good solid Democrat.
Your Aunt Deb