Friday, August 04, 2006
Dance Party
One of the best things about this country is that everyone loves to dance! Since I love to dance, this works out perfectly. Last night, a friend of mine who lives here had five girls over from a dorm next door. It is really uncommon in this city for college-age girls to live away from their parents, but these girls were accepted by a local university, and because they are from all over Afghanistan, they live together in a big house. The five of them that came over had various majors- engineering, agriculture, medicine- and they are all in the middle of mid-terms. But they came anyway and we had a great time. We served them an American dinner, and then taught them some American dances. The electric slide didn't go over too well, but the Macarena was a huge success.
One of the girls was trying the Macarena, and poor thing, she just couldn't get it. Another girl finally came behind her and stuck her arms under hers to try and teach her. They ended up just laughing. But then suddenly, this girl busted out the Afghan dancing to the macarena music! We were mesmerized. It was amazing. I think all the women here learn to dance like that when they are really young. Which unfortunately makes them bad teachers since its more instinctive than something they were actually taught. Luckily, this girl let me video her while she was dancing, and although I can't post it on the blog, at least I have something to learn from now.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
So I guess this means you are teaching a dance class when you get home. I can't wait!
sorry that was me on the comment about the dance class. It is late and I am very tired we had vbs and a carnival on the last day...today!
alyssia
Post a Comment