There is something that has been creeping up on me like a sneaky little insect. Something I have been thinking about a lot lately but trying not to. Something that is much more difficult to be rid of than brushing a bug off your leg on the Fourth of July. And that thing is... graduation.
Supposedly, we are to start looking for jobs this summer. Supposedly, I am to fill out applications and ponder salaries and paid vacation. Now I grow up and start deciding what I actually want to do. In someone's mind, I am an adult, and have even the remotest idea where I want to live and settle down. (And in some far away fairy tale land, I am also studying for our board exams.)
Reality: I am laying on the couch eating an ice cream sandwich and watching Sahar take a little spit bath.
Its kind of like having two lives. One in which I go to the hospital every day, do histories and physicals and patient care plans with some traumas thrown in; the same one in which I graduate in 8 months, settle down with a great job and have a very good life surrounding by loving family and wonderful friends.
Then there's the other life, in which I continually think of being back in dusty Kandahar, riding camels in the desert and laughing with nomads under tar-colored tents. Or Ecuador, treating brown-faced little children in a medical clinic by day and riding rusty old bikes on the beach by night. Or Haiti, sleeping on roofs, delivering babies on the clinic's dirt floor and hiking to waterfalls; petting purple sea urchins then riding to islands on ancient, patchy-sailed boats.
Ahhh... I still have no idea what to do.
3 comments:
Erin--You can do both. Work in the US and visit other countries via Drs W/o Borders or some such organization. Yes, you too can HAVE IT ALL!!
Then, of course, there is the question of whats-his-name....lurking around the edges of your life.....what about that?
Your Aunt Deb in Iowa
Haha! Well don't let it creep too much...interviewing, deciding what you want to do with your life, etc is by far overrated! :) But then how are you supposed to answer questions like, what are your plans when you are done?? Maybe you have to think about it...but only a little!
Or you could really have it all by working in a city filled with adventure, Afghan refugees, awesome friends, cute babies, and close to all things cool. Oh and to all those other benefits I must add that this city is contained in the only state that can fly its flag as high as the US flag. A fact you've probably never heard before. ;)
Post a Comment