There's one really great thing about being around sick people all day, and that is The Moment. I have begun cherishing this hundred and twenty seconds more and more as my first rotation wears on. Its something I have experienced many times in life but I didn't start truly soaking it in until a few weeks ago...
I have to wait for It the entire day. Which is good, because I really have something to look forward to. I wake up around 5:30, cuddle with my sweet kitten, and begin getting ready. After some Ensure, a run and a shower, its onto work. Eight to twelve hours pass in which all kinds of sick people come in and need help, and very often are in some kind of physical pain or mental anguish. Work gets over, and the evening passes with its various activities. I sweet-cuddle the kitten again, brush my teeth, and get back into bed.
The lights are off, my eyes close, and It arrives. The moment in which I lie in the darkness, and relish being 100% pain free. My physical body wallows in utter comfort and contentment, and my mind lays down to rest. Its taken a couple hundred sick people in pain for the last three weeks to remind me of how precious and rare this moment is. Who knows how long it will last? A minor neck injury in a wreck or a friend's death tomorrow could mean tonight will be my last pain-free Moment for a long time. But every night (for now at least) that precious moment is cherished until It, and I, slip away into peace-filled sleep.
No comments:
Post a Comment