Tuesday, April 03, 2007

How Not to Spend a Monday

Yesterday I was waiting tables during lunch, out on our open air deck. Its gorgeous, especially at sunset, as it has a great view of lake. However, during the middle of the day, its also nice if its not too hot. Yesterday was perfect. A good looking couple around thirty years old sat down with no idea of the awful thing that was about to happen.

I took their order, got them drinks, et cetera et cetera; and then... a man who had been sitting inside the restaurant saw the couple out on the deck. He strided quite purposefully up to their table and started freaking out. He was angry and pointing... and at first managing to keep his comments at a low volume so no one else could hear.

I walked back out to give another table something and by this time, the man was red-faced, and getting louder and louder with his accusations. The woman was now standing up, trying to lower his hands and calm him down. "We're just having lunch! We're just having lunch!" She kept saying. I walked back out to avoid making things more uncomfortable and felt bad for everyone. The other man remained silent and didn't say a single word the whole time. The husband eventually left.

I, unfortunately, couldn't leave, and had to keep waiting on this couple. They stared down and hardly spoke a word to each other after that. It was extremely embarassing for everyone.

I felt like I was watching a weird, real-life version of Cheaters. The entirety of the waitstaff had a lively conversation following this incident regarding what they would do if their spouse cheated on them. I, for one, felt sick to my stomach. What a horrible situation for everyone involved! So messy, so painful, and no way to really even try to fix it. Unless they are lucky.

Then, without knowing what it was about, I happened to watch Lost in Translation last night. Well, its about two married people who meet in Tokyo, and take a bunch of small steps until they end up falling in love and cheating on their spouses. Wow. What a reminder that few people in our society value monogamy anymore.

Its time to watch The Notebook or go to an old folk's bingo night.

1 comment:

Summer said...

How sad! I hope they left you a good tip for your trouble.