Monday, November 13, 2006

Great Days

The last two weeks of my stay here have begun. These are great days. It is now in the 60's and 70's here, so with our attire the weather feels perfect. There's just something about knowing you are going home soon that makes everything beautiful. And to be going home for Christmas, my birthday, and New Year's... that is joy unspeakable.

So far, there is no update on PA school. I think the latest I would find out about an interview is around my birthday.

There are not really many interesting pictures from this last week. We have not had too much excitement. I have been observing at different hospitals and clinics but those stories I will save for later because mostly they are tragedies. The healthcare system just needs so much help. Sometimes I wonder if hospitals here are meant to save people's lives or to take them. Particularly the mothers and children. More on that later.

And Happy Thankgiving. I'd never thought about it before coming here, but you know, we are the only country that celebrates Thanksgiving. Duh, right? Except it is sad to be in a foreign country on one of your homeland's major holidays. They don't even have the day off from work, much less half the week. But the great thing about expat communities is their determination to keep their own traditions alive, despite being surrounded by a sea of other people who don't care. This is why there are still Amish people in Ohio and why Thanksgiving exists in any country where Americans live. So if you emailed me and asked what we are doing for Thanksgiving... the same thing as you. (Only our bird might have bird flu whereas yours probably will not.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Canada actually has their own Thanksgiving..I saw it on a calendar this year :)

Anonymous said...

KFC!! Do you have KFC anywhere in the country?? The Japanese have KFC for Christmas when we have turkey so I don't see who you guys couldn't do the same for thanksgiving. If not KFC, then maybe just some sort of fried chicken...its just a suggestion. Besides, bird flu chicken would taste a lot better fried I think!! :)
Steph

Anonymous said...

Yum! Bird flu chicken! Pass me a second helping. ;-)
Brandy