It was exactly one year ago today that our dear friend Cyd was abducted in Kandahar. One year, and we have still not had the opportunity to hold a formal memorial service or funeral for her. So I would like to take this opportunity to write out a memory of Cyd I have, that no one else ever knew.
My first trip to Kandahar was in 2005- I stayed with Cyd and her two roommates for about a week. We had great fun during that time and there are many memories impressed on my mind from that short period; however, one stands out.
Every night of the summer, Cyd slept on the roof, on a small cot, under a mosquito net. She loved to sleep under the stars. I loved that roof, because it had a view of one of Kandahar's strange mountain formations just off to one side. Most nights that week, we went up to the roof and looked at the mountains and the stars. So it wasn't unusual that my last night in Kandahar, we again found ourselves on the roof after sunset; but this time we sensed the time was precious. So we lingered there for hours, talking and praying and singing together into the early morning. Cyd had a beautiful, resonant voice that rang out like a bell. We cried and talked over so many things. Sometime after one she finally left me up on the roof and went downstairs to sleep, because the first chill of fall had just arrived. I knew I was leaving for Kabul in the morning, and didn't know if I would ever come back. I stayed up on the roof for a few more hours, singing softly and basking in the beauty of the Kandahari night, staring at its millions of stars. After drifting off sometime later, I was suddenly startled out of sleep; and freezing, went downstairs to bed.
I have never forgotten that night with Cyd. What an unusual woman! That she cherished and found beauty in such a place, and somehow instilled it in my heart too. I will always love you Cyd; I wish we could sing on your roof tonight.
No comments:
Post a Comment