Thursday, April 03, 2008

Utter Insanity and the Skills Lab

The last week or so was complete and utter insanity. Pathophys test, epidemiology statistics test, radiology test, test, test test! But its all over now. Until our pharmacy test Monday.

So today our PA group took its first turn going to the Skills Lab. The Skills Lab is a simulation that the med school does for us to practice on patients without hurting anyone. The patients are paid actors who pretend to be sick! If you think that is awesome, as I did, even more awesome is the knowledge that a tiny little camera in the corner of the patient room is filming your every move, and your professors are watching you... and grading you. Yeah, it was awesome. I think only six out of the nine people in our group hyperventilated and threw up before going in.

No, not really. One girl cried and that was it. Believe it or not, there's something reeeaaally distracting about knowing that every word coming out of your mouth is being videotaped; not to mention that its hard enough to remember everything you are supposed to ask and do when there is no pressure on you to get it right. When you can just walk out of the room, get the PA, and have them figure it out. Yeah... here is the list of what we are supposed to remember and do in- get this- FIFTEEN MINUTES. (Well, we do pertinent review of systems and physical exam, not complete; but its still a LOT!)

Now I know why my PCP is always running late.

4 comments:

Jon and Steph said...

Have you ever seen the Seinfield where they do that? They pay actors to pretend like they are sick for the medical students. I saw that episode not too long ago and thought about how silly that was. I didn't know it actually happend in real life...weird!!

erin beth said...

Yes! Actually, yesterday we were all talking about it because Jerry had to pretend that he had gonorrhea. Which is funny, but in real simulations the patients don't pretend they have anything where you'd have to do genital exams.

If only we didn't have to do them real life, either...

Anonymous said...

Wow, Erin. That's crazy! If it weren't for the cameras, it sounds kind of fun. It sounds like you are well on your way to becoming a great, qualified PA!! :)

Jon and Steph said...

That's so funny!! I was discussing this with Jon and he said that people seem to think it is an effective way of teaching. He is having to do something similar, of course not with anything medicinal, but in his audit class. The department brings in actors and Jon, along with his group, has to simulate an audit interview. He said that they actually got their idea from the way that medical schools do it. I had no idea!! I feel so enlightened!!