Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Content

I am content here. I have learned here how to be content no matter what the situation is around me. This is not something I could possibly do on my own. No, there are many people praying and in truth, Jesus is really the one giving me contentment. But here are a few things he has showed me about how to do it.

*Enjoy life. There are way too many horribly sad things to dwell on. War, oppression, poverty. But there is also always something good to enjoy while you are working to improve the bad things. Like dancing and flowers and sweet pomegranites.

*Things change. I am working with Philippinos and Koreans here. And both cultures have told me that the situations in the Philippines and Korea were very similar to Afghanistan 50 years ago. Things will change if we continue working for change.

*Always be thankful. If you can't find anything good to be thankful for, be thankful for the bad things. I once read about two sisters who were imprisoned in a concentration camp during WWII. They had just about the worst lives imaginable. But one of the sisters decided to be thankful for the fleas that were in her bed. So she just spent some time focusing on those fleas and how thankful she was for them. The sisters had some very precious, illegal things hidden in their bunks that were never discovered. Later, they found out that the reason the Nazi's didn't discover their parephenalia was because the bunks were infested with fleas and the Nazis didn't want to touch them.

So sometimes even the things that you wish didn't exist turn out for your benefit.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a life lesson! Thanks for sharing that one. I need to hear it as much as you do, I'm sure. :)

Anonymous said...

Your message is so encouraging, especially in the face of what you see all around you. It's good to hear. I am so happy that you have chosen to share your blog and your lessons. It's a lesson I need all the time. Thank you sounds funny, but thank you for your perspective.

Anonymous said...

Awesome, as if you were speaking directly to my team. Change is good.

See you soon.