Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Holiday



Last week was the "kochiney axter"- The Little Eid- the three days of feasting after a month of fasting. The first three days, men will visit relatives and other men friends. But for the whole month after that, it is the women's Eid. I have been to lots of new houses during this time. The picture isn't great but it is an example of what they lay out whenever you come to a house. Would you believe, all this was for just three people, me and two friends.

Everyone also has to wear new clothes and the sound of gunfire is heard for the whole Eid. This time its not the war- that's also how they like to party here. (Party, fight... any reason to fire a gun will do.) I have thought about going to the neighbor's house to ask if I can shoot their kashalnikov... but then, the shots often kill or injure people when the bullets come back down so I'm holding off for now. Posted by Picasa

No comments: