Sunday, July 22, 2012

Intermission...

Just an intermission for a short update for our friends.

Sitting here typing up Addison's story, I am reminded that it is much more difficult to write these stories almost a year and a half after they occurred. There are so many amazing ongoing stories right now that deserve to be written but I'm torn between finishing a sad story that was touched me so deeply and sharing the amazing epilogue to Lily's story that has happened in the meantime! And all the other stories that are ongoing right now and are so much fresher in my mind....

So I will try to show some restraint and finish Addy before going on. However, teaser: there is more, MUCH more, to Lily's life story that I absolutely cannot wait to put into words! Look for "Lily: The Epilogue"... soon.

I had promised myself I was going to write more this summer. I guess its not so bad to break a promise to yourself, as long as there aren't really any consequences. But one of the reasons was that writing some of these out is so therapeutic for me. These stories happen in real life so much faster than I can write them down, that I rarely have the chance to think on them or really process them very deeply. But these children are so precious, and the stories of their lives so invaluable- they are beyond words. I can't usually sum them up in a few sentences in response to a passing "How is your job going?" Therefore, I am going to start making a real effort to keep up with this, more for myself and the kids than anyone else.

In that light, in the last week, I had the great privilege of taking care of and being involved in the stories of two children who passed from this life. And at church this morning, I just sort of had an epiphany. I have never thought of my job as particularly spiritual. Mostly, in my mind its very logical and scientific; I mean, its medicine. But it really stuck on my heart that part of my job is extremely unique- the part where the science doesn't work, and we don't "win," and I do help children pass on from this life to the next.

And you know, then I thought, what a cool job.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm so glad that you are writing again. Your job is very cool but it takes a special person. I couldn't do it.