Have you ever taught someone to read?
Somehow, one of the things that never made my list of 'Fifty Things To Do Before I Die' was teaching someone to read. Lord only knows how it got left off the list... but now that I'm in the process of doing this very thing: man, it belongs there. Those of you with children get what I'm talking about.
I have been teaching Nasri, my Afghan friend, to read for about 12 weeks now. We have lessons every Monday night and by golly, if that woman- smart cookie that she is- isn't reading phonetically already! I can't believe how ecstatic it makes me feel to see her putting it together and figuring it all out. To see how reading opens someone's world up- Wow! Its a speechless feeling!
I have been thinking back; when did I learn to read? Its hard to remember exactly, but I do have a few vivid memories of my Dad and I, nestled in the big blue recliner in our living room, sounding out big words in Larry Niven books. I am so grateful to my parents for the many ways they opened up my world.
So if you're listening, my two cents on the matter: Find someone who doesn't know how to read and... teach them!
(If you're having trouble finding someone, I know a whole apartment complex full of refugees who could use your help!!)
No comments:
Post a Comment