Saturday, August 08, 2009

Nighttime Rambling

Last night I dreamed about Afghanistan again. A mob gathered outside our house and the Afghan National Army had surrounded us to keep them from getting in. Jirah, Julie and Kate were there and a US helicopter came to rescue us. I'm only worried because its the one time I brought my violin to that darn country and this female officer made me leave it in the house because there was no room in the helicopter. Somehow we always end up in an armored car with the windows rolled down on the Kandahar highway, headed to Kabul. Jirah is crying. I'm thinking about how the violin would have fit in the car. And it ends stopping at a little buffet-style restaurant in Ghazni to eat.. I've had that dream before.

Why was the crowd mad? Why weren't we on the helicopter? Why were the windows in the armored car rolled down? Why was there an Afghan version of Furr's in Ghazni? Most importantly, why did I ever bring my violin to Afghanistan?? I'll never make any sense of it.

3 comments:

Summer said...

You probably brought your violin to bring joy and cheer to your friends! Don't worry I'll send you another. You should expect to receive it two-three dreams from now. It's traveling via United Sleeping Package Shippers, USPS for short.

leoend said...

My dear Erin,

Just read your blog entry. We are safe and doing fine with HIS protection. Did you know that Kate is coming again here next month ... she will be Nilo's "boss" for the remaining months we will be here in A-land! How we wish you can be here also! You are in our thoughts. Julie

erin beth said...

Sweet Julie! I do miss you and your family so much and think and pray for you often. Lots of love!!